Tuesday, May 15

too busy to buy toilet paper ......

HELLO!
yes, that is correct. we were too busy to run to the store to buy toilet paper. it was about a week that we were sans. good thing for the nice hoses by the side of every toilet. hahahaha. 
gross. just kidding. but only slightly. 
so a few funny things happened that I have yet to tell you about. 
1. sister rhodes and I enter the LRT. I sit down on one side by some people, she sits on the other. I start chatting with my neighbor, when not much more than 30 seconds pass when I hear the lady sitting next to rhodesy yell, "PRAISE THE LORD SISTER! I AM REBORN!!" hahahaha. turns out, all rhodes said was the whole "I am a missionary from the church of jesus christ of latter day saints........" 
2. so we are teaching my favorite family a lesson on the ten commandments. asher and faris are 9 and 10 so we were teaching it in a more fun way with hand actions to help them remember them all. so commandment number three is about using the lords name in vain. so you put three fingers together, and hold your pinky down with your thumb. and then you put it over your mouth. and that was our cute little way to remember that one. well, at the end, we were doing a quiz where we would do the sign and they would have to say what the commandment was. they were acing them all until I did that sign, and put my fingers over my mouth. asher immediately yells "SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and jumps up off the floor. you see, he was trying to beat his brother faris and it was getting close. so he was quite in to it. too bad he was wrong! I gave him a half a point though because I couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the night. haha.
3. this is just a grace of the heavens story. so a while ago we met these boys from somalia. they were of the religion that we can't teach. of course. but it didn't stop me from having a very good conversation with them about other things. we were laughing so hard, they were fun. they reminded me of people I'd be friends with at home. so then after about thirty minutes we parted ways and that was that. well, last night, rhodes and I were on a very crowded LRT going home for the night, and I was kindof smooshed in the back. well in walks our friends, abdul 1 and abdul 2. abdul 1 looks at me and his mouth immediately opens huge in a shocked grin type of deal. then abdul 2 sees me seconds later and with his arms outstretched (smacking the people around him) yells "jensen!!!!!" haha. it was brilliant reunion with some old friends. I might just even facebook friend them when I get home. 
and one other cool story, I'll end with. rhodes and I were coming home late one night after an appointment (I feel like all stories happen at night.....) but our investigator had bought us tons and tons of food from the night market to take home. as we were walking, we saw quite a few homeless people begging for money. so we started to give them all part of our food. we got to this one old lady, who was muslim. she had her hair covered and everything. I asked her, "sudah makan?" she replied with "belum ada makanan." so I asked if she had eaten, she said she didn't have any food. so we hand her part of the popiah spring rolls we had. no big deal. but what she did was pretty special. she looks up at us, with these big teary eyes, and all she did was make the sign for the cross like the catholics do and start to pray. we were both a bit at a loss for words, but it was a really special moment. I love situations like that. it is when our race, our religion, our age, our wealth all disappears and its just us, being united because we're all family. all God's children. I also thought it was cool that she recognized we were christians. or she at least felt the need to do the "christian" sign. it was sweet.
I'm running our of time, but one other cool tidbit, we met a sultan from saudi arabia. he asked me for lunch. 
oh!!! and even coooooooooooooooooooooler!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have a couple getting baptized this weekend. men and bryan. they are from myanmar and they are increeeeeeedible. yay yay yay!!!!!!!!!
life is brilliant.
love you all so much.

No comments: