Tuesday, May 22

they seek the cure of cancer!

heeeeeeeey family.
so, for the present conditions, sister kubota and sister.....blast. I don't remember her name. scratch that I just asked rhodesy, sister burtis. are here from singapore to go on splits with us this week. I had burtis yesterday. I get kubota tomorrow. I might have a story or two next week, but bottom line, I love sister rhodes. I've got two months left, I'm praying I just get to stay with her until the end. 
so for the highlights of this week. I'll start with the most exciting, a couple that we have been teaching got baptized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay! it was a beautiful baptism. their names are man and aung. they are refuges from myanmar. did I tell you about them already? I feel like I did. but if I didn't, a cool little tidbit. aung's family used to be the royal family or the family in charge in myanmar before the military stepped in. his pictures of his dad and grandpa and stuff they are always in front of valentino stores and posing in front of a line of sports cars. now they live in a one bedroom apartment in KL. quite the change. and another cool thing about him, he was actually buddhist. sister man has always been christian. but they are refuges because in myanmar, he wanted to go to church with his wife. and I guess they didn't like that. so they threw him in jail a lot and made all sorts of crazy threats. so they're refuges because he was buddhist, wanted to go to church. and now they are baptized. it was so adorable. all the pictures we took they were holding hands. after the baptism when they both had an opportunity to bare their testimonies, they decided to do it in myanmese. so only those two could understand. but the spirit was so strong, and the love was so obvious. they both stood up for quite a while, and both times as one was speaking, the other was smiling and crying. it was precious. they are moving to america in a few weeks, so we get to talk to them a lot about preparing to go to the temple and they get amped. ahhhhhhh I love missionary work. 
this week we also had a lot of very stressful/funny moments with members telling our investigators things. for example, in the middle of a lesson on the restoration (which we had already prepared the member for, told them what we WOULD be talking about, and what we WOULD NOT be talking about) and regardless, two times with two different members they cut in right as we were talking about prophets, and added their interjections on the church's stance on homosexuality, coffee, and later, the three kingdoms of glory. one of the members, bless his heart, even pulled out an ancient little picture flipbook I'm sure missionaries used long ago. courtesy of said book, it was very easy for him to go from God, to joseph smith, to word of wisdom, to kingdoms of glory in 45 seconds or less and with just a few flicks of the hand. the lessons were both epic fails. rhodesy was getting very red in the face, and I was having a hard time keeping a straight face. aiyo. bless their hearts! as mom would say....
something else cool. so sunday night, we were going over our schedule for the next day, and we didn't have anything to do early afternoon. which is also a rotten time to try to go knocking because no one is home. so I pulled out the phone and called sister mckinley, and expat member who is in the process of moving to singapore now. I told her we had an hour or two to spare and we wanted to come help her with whatever she needed to pack or clean for their move. so the next day she picked us up and had to run to the grocery store on the way. we go in to the grocery store, rhodesy helped her carry her basket and I was contacting some of the malaysian workers that worked there. I think she noticed and like that, because when she was checking out, she looks at me and goes, "this is raj kumar. he has helped me every time I have come in here. you should teach him." and then she goes "raj, this is sister jensen. she is incredible. you meet with her and she will tell you how to be happy." later she told me she had never thought of referring him to the missionaries, but standing there she realized he would be perfect. and just like that, we had a referral from an expat (which most missionaries say is impossible) and a new investigator. we're meeting him next week. sweet! but after that we went home and helped her scrub her kitchen down and it was really cool because she just shared words of wisdom with us the whole time. she's an incredible lady with an incredible story and it was really cool to sit and talk with her. one of my favorite things she said was, "sister jensen, you're a bit eccentric. you need to marry someone eccentric too." and so I was like what! I'm already crazy, don't I need someone to balance me out? and she goes nope, you need someone just as crazy as you. your life will be fun. hahaha. I liked that. we'll see.
and unfortunately this email is going to be a bit dry for you guys this week. sorry. I'm lacking on funny stories and the creative juices to dress up not super funny stories. maybe next week.
but I love you all?
I love you all so much. 
oh ps.
the subject line of this email is a direct quote from this crazy lady who was yelling at me about all the reasons that her church was the true church. that one was my favorite.

No comments: