Wednesday, February 8

hello family! 
sorry I didn't have any funny or enlightening words last week, it was pretty busy and the airport internet kicked me off every five minutes. kindof annoying. so anyway.
the recap: 
6 AM Tuesday morning fly for Singapore. I got to see Lowe before she went home!!! we did contacting all day. that was a trip! speaking english is weird!! but I was very relieved to see that I did it fine. 
9AM Wednesday fly back home to Miri. with a long layover in Kuching. very exciting airport with no ATM (how does that work???) so I couldn't buy anything to keep me entertained. good thing it was pouring rain and I got to watch the poor workers get dumped on all day. hah. 
6PM get to Miri. I change my clothes, we get on our bikes in the pouring rain (my favorite:)) go out to permai for our appointment. we get there, soaking wet, and said appointment calls and cancels. so we call our backup plan (according to Sister Clarks orders, must always have a trusty backup plan) but unfortunately that also couldn't happen! so we call our plan C, nothing. our go to plan D is always to go eat roti and the curry house in Permai and talk to the Ibans and the Tamils that work there. so that's what we did. I learned a bit of Tamil. "nandri" means thanks. but it only counts if you wiggle your head while you say it. 
7AM Thursday we go to the bus stop to go to Bintulu. we got there that afternoon and had interviews with president...ate nasty food. I slept on the tile. 
7AM Friday zone conference. it was alllll day. which I always don't do really well when i have to be locked in the same room for 8 hours, but it was an amazing training on the atonement. President is an insane teacher. he is so smart and he presents material so well. he also goes soooooo deep doctrine. I also walk away with my mind blown. at 930 that night we got on a bus back to Miri, got home around 1AM. 
basically, it was the longest week of my entire life. glad its over!
Ferg and I also managed to catch a bit of a bug in Bintulu we think....but we are okay. definitely no typhoid. just a little sick. but that didn't keep us from having a MAGIC monday! (as opposed to a manic monday) we went contacting and met two huge families, which totaled 15 new investigators. in one day. wooooo! the first family was awesome, we sat outside their house on the mats, they were drinking tea and chewing on pinang (it's this nut that you chew on, turns your mouth bright red, and is against the word of wisdom....) and I was sitting there spitting my iban skills at them. once they discovered I new a little bit of iban, that's the only thing they'd talk to me in. and they are the cool ibans with the cool skreetchy accent. and they yell. so it was me and a bunch of fat ibans sittin on the floor yelling at each other in iban. hahaha. I love malaysia. the other family was polar opposite, and the wife was from KK:) they were all very intelligent and very religious, they spoke english (to fergs delight!) and they are incredible. valentine will be branch president if he opens his heart to us. it was a good day.
the only funny story I can think of has to do with Ferg. so she is still learning the language and just like me, she's got good days and bad days. we were at this persons house, they were speaking to her in english, and telling her all the languages they could speak. oh, and "bahasa" means language in malay. people usually don't say they speak malay, they just say bahasa. anyway. the lady goes "I can speak English, Mandarin, Haka, Hokkien, Cantonese, and Bahasa." theres about 20 people in the room, not to mention all the missionaries, and we all are listening to their conversation. ferg then goes, "oh bahasa? wow I've never heard of that! what country is that from?" hahahahahahaha. I looked at her, once again, and just doubled over with laughter. I was like ferg, bahasa means malay remember? and she was like OOOOOHHHHHH! yeah. hahaha. it was funny. ferg is great. she laughs at herself, which is nice because I also laugh. she does the same to me. we don't get mad because we definitely are laughing with eachother instead of at each other. 
and that's that. 
I still need to email president so this is it. sorry nothing real exciting resulted this week.
next week better.
love you!

No comments: