Wednesday, July 27

so I'm short on time, today was a bit of a world wind p-day. 
but first, I didn't get transferred. I will be in a KK for a long time I'm guessing. four or five more months at least. 
so sister hite wanted to get a haircut today, so we went to this lady in the branch's shop. we went in thinking it would just be her getting the cut, I very politely said I didn't want my hair cut. but thank you so much anyway!! so hite gets it cut, no big deal. then the sister takes me and says I have to get it cut now. I politely said again, no thank you! but thank you so much for offering! but no, typical to malaysia, I had no say. haha. so I got a hair cut. I have layers on top shorter than my ears. dead serious. I am rocking a mullet, and despite all of my comments which turned into pleas to her to please not cut my hair, or to not cut it that short, nothing registered! so I have a mullet. thankfully, I can still manage to pull it into a bun on the top of my head. which is how I will be wearing it for the remaining months on my mission. :) what can you do? could you tell april I miss her though? and she's gonna have a doozy trying to fix my hair back to normal when I get back! haha. adoi. but it was interesting, she gave me this head/face massage while she was washing my hair to "pull out the wind." malaysians believe that if you shower at night, wind enters your body. and makes you sick. so she kept massaging and making these sucking noises and then she'd burp SOOOOO LOOOUUUUUUDDDDD! dead serious, she sucked and burped for thirty minutes straight. like 100 times at least. it was intense. but my head felt so good after. weird right? and she said that now my face was skinny again because I didn't have so much air stuck in it. I'm not sure I could totally tell the difference, I was distracted by my new 'do, but it felt nice and was an interesting experience nonetheless.
another funny little thing, we forgot to pay our electricity bill. so guess who didn't have air conditioning for a few days? :) hahahaha. no air conditioning and living in malaysia really isn't a super easy thing. you know? and there are still people who live in kampungs that don't have electricity!!! it helped me realize how much of a "new world" kind of a girl I am, and how much I take little things like that for granted! it wasn't all bad though. it was actually kind of fun. at night we were huddled around a candle, trying to write in our journals, when I started laughing soooo hard. I told hite I felt like joseph smith. we both got a good kick out of that one actually. haha. you just have to love life sometimes. but it came on today, and I won't lie I am SO grateful to have air blowing in my face again:)
our branch got split this past sunday, so now there are two areas. it was wild! elder subandriyo from the seventy came and spoke and it was really cool. it made me cry actually, one of the most incredible people on earth, her name is sister kate, who was the relief society president and is now in the other ward than us, she spoke and talked about how when she joined the church years ago, they met in some little small building. she said she was always late so she had to sit outside and had to strain her neck to try to hear what the speakers were saying. when they said they were going to build a nice church building, she said she didn't even believe it. but when they started work on the land, she said she used to drive and park her car there at night and just look at it. and she said now, two branches. it was really incredible for me to hear that, and to be able to see the spread of the gospel here. I'm so lucky to be apart of it.
I do want to share one cool moment with you, if I may. we were teaching at kamlan's house, but we were teaching to a new boy. we were sharing the message of the restoration, and it came time for me to start teaching. we were on the story of joseph smith and the first vision. I was struggling that lesson to stay focused, there was a ton of people and tons of distractions, and my malay was really struggling that night. so I said a prayer right before it was my turn, just to help me be able to share my testimony with this person, so that he could understand and feel how much it meant to me. so I opened my mouth, and I kid you not, I was using malay words I didn't even know.  I wasn't even thinking about malay, I was just talking like I was talking in english. my heart was on fire, and I seriously wasn't even thinking about anything, just about joseph smith. afterward I asked sister hite what I said, and she said she had never heard me speak malay like that. cool right? it was really a testimony builder that the gift of tongues is real, and that when the lord promises that if we "open our mouths they will be filled" He means it. it was a cool experience for me. 
this email is going to be short this week, I'm really sorry. we have a lesson we have to go teach really soon. 
I love you all very much. thanks for all your letters, they are all little blessings!!!

No comments: