Wednesday, June 1

Heeeeey

I can't believe another p day has come already. this week was very busy for us, and it was also SO HOT! I literally fell asleep in the freezing cold shower last night. we're working hard. but hard is good.
before I forget, I sent a letter to you guys and also to grandma's kaysville address....is she still there? look for the letters to see how long they take. I got grandmas last one ten days after it was posted. very speedy!

so we had a baptism this sunday :) his name is Jerry. and guess who got asked at 1130 the night before to speak at his baptism? ME! I was too tired to try to stay up and practice, and the baptism was at the church the next morning at 8. so, basically I prayed for the gift of tongues, showed up, and started speaking. everyone said I did great. (the members are all very nice though....haha) but I was able to speak off the top of my head.it is also cool, I'm starting to think in malay instead of translating english to malay. if that makes sense. it just comes in malay now. a big relief/milestone for me! the baptism was so amazing though. I just cried like a little baby. big crocodile tears! he is such a cool person, has had such a wild life! and he found the gospel and his life completely changed. so did his whole countenance. he is such a great person and I felt so spoiled to be able to be there for it. the way the gospel affects peoples lives is mindblowing sometimes. I love teaching about the plan of salvation, you can literally see people take a huge sigh of relief when they find out what their life and their families lives could be with the gospel. it gives them hope, and everytime I see people find that hope and that faith it renews mine. moments like that make walking in burning hot sticky dirty weather for 11 hours a day, worth it 100000 times over.

every week we go teach this sweet little recent convert named angel, and her nannyish thing is a member. sister josie. well, sister josie loves me. she has this huge delicious meal for us every time we come over. and early on I mentioned I loved cake because she bakes cakes for her job, so now every time there is also a few slices of homemade 6 layer chocolate cake waiting for me as well:) the members here are so nice. they're so supportive of us missionaries, and they are always trying to refer us to their friends and their families to teach. it makes me so happy! but also feel bad, I never referred any of my friends to the missionaries at home. and it's part of our responisbilities as members of the church! I have already repented with plans to change that when I get home. maybe if you think of anyone, you could refer them to the missionaries as well? especially with elders as cute as elder finland. speaking of, has he been over yet? tell him to write me please. I am thinking if I have any referrals now. maybe I'll pass them on to him.

so I have found a new addiction. named roti susu. basically, you go to one of 100000000 curry houses in KK, and it is like a thick delicious tortillaish thing, covered in sweet condensed milk. you might think that sounds disgusting, and maybe it is. but here, SEDAP!!!!!!! I literally crave them like you wouldn't even believe. I might come home 300 pounds heavier and that will be okay because I enjoyed every second of my roti susu.

oh you will like this, the other day we were knocking in a new area, and we had an appointment we were going to be late for. so, instead of taking the super long way on the road, we decided to conquer the short cut way. which involved scaling the side of a mountain/jungle, with a 20 foot deep sewer/river on our right. the path was, seriously, about 2 feet wide, and the wild jungle trees cut into it the whole time so we literally had like six inches to walk. oh, did I mention it was raining too? haha. it took us about thirty minutes of sheer panic mode before we made it across and back on to a street again. I will admit, I was a bit nervous. just a bit. nothing too bad. just a bit. just kidding! not even at all. I wouldn't have minded falling in to the river of acid/bacteria and shriveling up in 15 seconds flat. just another day for a missionary in KK.

so the Kaamatan festival has been going on the past few days, basically all the tribes here start partying and dressing up in traditional garb and dancing and eating and playing music and what not. so much fun! hard to do missionary work, but so much fun to watch and observe. I have some funny pictures that I'll try to send home. we got a group of members/inactives/investigators together and went to the KDCA, the big party spot, and jalan jalaned. walked around. great fun! there was one point where a bunch of old men were playing the drums, and OF COURSE they decided to come pull me out of the crowd to play the drums with them. which was fine, but then they wanted me to start doing the traditional dance thing with them! which was mortifying! if I wasn't a missionary, absolutely I would have loved that! but I am a missionary. so I had to awkwardly squirm my way out of the crowd of people watching haha. very funny.

I think sister hite has to go to KL again next week. and maybe me too. UGH! more training. but it's hard when your routine gets mixed up. if I don't go I'll go stay with the sweet senior couple again like when sister hite already left. they're soooo funny. elder larson reminds me of dad. we just spar the whole time and then sister larson cooks. bless their hearts! they're in charge of all of southeast asia's charities and so last week I got to help with testing a bunch of little kids eyes to see if they need glasses. something like 10,000 glasses are coming for free for people here that need them but can't afford them. I was stoked I could help with that. I don't get to help very much because my calling is to teach the gospel, not to do service work. but still, every once in a while we get to help out. it makes me miss my job.

a few favors, do you think you could start buying vogue and just stacking them in my room?I'm going to be so desperately behind on fashion and I'm going to need to study and catch up.
also, I have a big problem with slarvy men her cat calling to me. and they're of the race it's against the law to teach, so it's just annoying. so I've been camporing with swedish, german, swahili, and spanish so they don't think I speak english or malay. dad, could you write up a few swedish phrases that I could memorize and start saying to them when they come up to me? sister hite speaks japanese to them and it works like a charm. thanks!!

one last funny story. so, we have an investigator that doesn't read the book of mormon because she can't see very well. she's old. so, we had this brilliant idea to take a book of mormon to a copy place here (none of them believe in copyrights) and have it copied and enlarged. I have copied books before and they were like 12 ringet (like 4 bucks) so we thought it'd be no problem. thinking it'd cost like about that much, and be just a little bit bigger like we explained, we dropped it off and came back a few days later. oh my gosh!!! it's hysterical. the think is like two feet by 1.5 feet. about four inches thick. plus it cost 132 ringets. we wanted to die. we haven't payed for it yet because we don't have enough money. but it is hysterical. at first we wanted to die, but I'm at the point where I can laugh about it now. I'll have to send a picture.

okay my time is about up now. but thanks for the updates on everyone. I'm glad josh is liking the mtc. it's a good place. and I thought melissa would have had her baby now!!!! I'll pray for her. and baby boy. they will be fine I know it. tell her to take it easy. also christina, I haven't heard anything from her in a long time. are her babies still healthy? and tessbabe? I miss you all. I'm glad you are all doing so well and having fun at the cabin. I dream about it! I miss you and I love you

No comments: