you would be pleased to know I have been FREAKING out over here about that! baby lars already!!!! everyone in the city of KK and the bordering kampungs know that my sister is having a child tomorrow. or the next day. or however the time change ends up being. I can't wait to meet him!! via photographs, of course. AHH! I got a letter from miss and a picture from tessbabe the other day and I won't lie, it made my life. so miss, if you're reading this, thanks so much. I thought I'd give you a shout out so when christina reads this she feels bad and writes me too:) hahah! I have learned to be even more sneaky with things since I've been on my mission!!
you really do have to be sneaky sometimes, like when people don't know if they want to see you yet. you quickly get really good and getting in peoples doors. even when they had the deadlock on and were talking to you through a crack, we still manage to get in:) most of the time. you do what you have to do get people the gospel! it's entertaining. and exhilarating. and exhausting. anymore alliterations anyone can think of? e.....educating?
so I went to KL (Kuala Lumpur melissa! sorry!) last week. I thought it was going to be another NORTON reunion! but was sadly disappointed when I discovered that I was the only greeny there. it was for MLT, mission leadership training? and for who knows what reason they decided to send me with all the other trainers. probably because they didn't want Sister Hite going to scary KL by herself. whatever the reason, it was a proper enjoyable time. I learned a lot. I LOVE my mission president. President Clark is amazing. every time he speaks I end up having so much more knowledge about the scriptures, and feeling so so pumped to go out and be a missionary. he presides by example, and I think that's really cool. plus sister clark loves to chat medicine with me, as she is a nurse as well. we have some giggles and tell some stories and it's all in great fun. I don't think I'll be going anywhere until my passport expires and I have to go to singapore. either mid August or mid September, depending on if they make me get an extension. so about the beloved package I have dreams about from mom, I'm not sure when I'll get it! I don't think anyone is heading to singapore until I go. but we will see.
the other day we had a dreadful day. every appointment fell through, I was sick, sister hite hadn't slept, and we were just spent. but we kept trucking along, and we saw this little scrawny kid asking for money. so we decided to feed him. we told him we'd get him food and be back, and when we did there was four more little boys around. so we went back and got even more food and brought it back. they were multiplying like bunnies! one kid just stood by me and he looked starving. he was starving, literally. so I handed him a container and he took it and sprinted away. poor kid. I hope he likes nasi ayam. I'm not sure what it is, but when I see kids suffering, it literally gives me a disturbed feeling in my heart. I can't be okay like that. thankfully sister hite feels the same way. so we did our best to help out a bit. I had just read in mosiah that day about how we need to give of our substance to those that need. unfortunately, two days later we saw the same kid (the first one we talked to) at the bus stop wearing really nice clean clothes and a nice pair of shoes. a completely different look from his ragged outfit and no shoes when we saw him....HA! he looked like he wanted to die when he saw us again. we stopped to talk with him and you could tell he felt bad. haha. oh well. if nothing more, my comp and I took about 6 10-year old kids out for dinner.
OH GOSH! I hate to admit that this was a very big happy moment of my week. finally during exercise we went to the gym at our apartment place. and guess what they had. A CLIMBING WALL!! it was like a climbing wall meets treadmill. as you climb, the wall moves down and so you just stay stationary in the air. I'm not sure if that made sense. but, it was magical. I miss climbing. I was glowing all day.
I love being a missionary. Jerry, my first baptism, is rungus, one of the tribes here. so they have their own language and everything. anyway, after his baptism he went back to his kampung to tell his family that he had been baptized and to teach them what he has learned. he was telling us the story of what happened the other day. apparently, he was a bit of a hefer in his youth, and his family was always mad at him and the stupid things he was doing. he went as far as to say his brother had zero hope in him ever pulling out of it and being a better person. pretty sad. so he went back to kampung to tell them all that he had changed. and he said at first, no one believed him! and then I guess, (he acted this out for us) he looked at them all, and yelling said, "look at my face! this face is different! I am not the same person as I was before, and I am different now because I found the true church and I was baptized!" and he said after that it went quiet, and then his whole family, even his brother, said he was different. and the rest of the weekend they kept telling him how much light he had. they were so supportive of him!! his sister wanted to give us (sister hite and I) a gift and so did Jerry, to say thank you I guess, so his sister gave sister hite a rungus bible, and jerry gave me his rungus hymn/songbook from when he was younger. he gave those to us the other day and he was soooo jazzed to give them. I teared up I was so happy. he received the aaronic priesthood on sunday, and I teared up again. missionary work makes you so happy. it's unlike anything else I have experienced this far, there is nothing better than seeing someone's light change. and them to literally be starving for the gospel. ah! I love it.
you will like this story. last night we were in one of our areas, our most ghetto area, and there sister hite and I were, walking through the alley's to get back to the bus stop, it's really dark so we can hardly see anything, when a car drives by and illuminates a BIG HUGE RAT! running right towards us. the best part is how we responded to that--we both grabbed on to each other, standing there, screaming. SCREAMING! a blood shrill kind of scream. there were people outside still and they were doubled over they were laughing so hard. haha. there are lots of rats here. it's pretty rough. we still aren't friends. heck, I'm still not friends with the lizards that live in our house. I do need more charity.
you would also be pleased to know I still dance. it's hardly ever, a very rare occasion, but the other night we had been knocking all day and we were exhausted and we had Jen and Herlina, both very cute young 20ish members, who were following us, and we were just dead tired. it was dark and the street was empty so I didn't feel too guilty, but I broke out into a typical lisa tap dance for them complete with a few heel clicks at the end. HA! poor Jen layed down on the ground she was laughing so hard and tiny Herlina said she was going to die because she had never laughed that hard and her body hurt. haha. you can take the girl out of the dance but you can't take the dance out of the girl! some things never change:)
well my time is up! I am so excited for next week to here about the big events that happened this week!! bless you all. I love you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment