Thursday, April 7

April 7, 2011

Apa Khabar!

Another week.  So crazy!  This week was a little bit more rough because the elders going to Madagascar left and I was good friends with most of them.  Sad day.  I made them promise me that since they were going to Africa, they would give it their all, and love the people for me.  They all know how much of my heart is still there.  It was weird to see them be so serious and somber about leaving.  I love these elders because they were fun!  But when it came down to it, they all put on their big boy pants and know that now the work really starts for them.  I thought it was very impressive.  I'm excited for the day that will be me.  Only 25 more days!! ALAHAI, that almost makes me cry I am so excited.

Before conference I decided to ask a few questions about what was concerning me in my life at that moment and to see if I could receive answers through conference.  Holy cow!  Every single question that I had, multiple talks answered it.  It was the coolest thing ever.  It was great being here for conference because all we did was have meetings all day.  No class.  My Malay suffered and it was tough to jump back in on Monday, but it was a nice break.  Conference was amazing!  I loved how much was on service. Elder Paul Johnson's talk really hit me.  He was telling a story and someone asked, "Will I be the same when this is over?" and the other man said, "No.  You will be stronger."  I teared up about that because I have felt like I have already changed a lot being here.  I feel like my desires in life have changed.  And I am so tired! So I asked that same question, "Am I going to be the same when I get home?" and then I listened to that talk.  It just blew me away.

I also loved President Eyring's talk, no big shocker.  He makes me happy.  I loved how he kept talking about the importance of consecrating ourselves and giving everything we have all the time.  At our devotional on Sunday night, a man named Vai Sikahema came to speak to us.  He is an ex BYU football player and now works for NBC in Philadelphia.  He showed clips on tv pieces he would do and he would include the LDS church as much as possible.  It was really cool to see someone go above and beyond using the resources they have to build up the church.

Funny story.  We were in our classroom about 9 pm and it was black outside.  We had the light on so there was a glare on the window.  I was sitting by this window when we heard a loud bang.  I tried to look out but couldn't see a thing.  Sister Norton turned off the light so we could see better and I put my face to the glass to try to see when someone flipped the light back on.  I saw these big creepy blue eyes and it didn't register that it was me so I SCREAMED!!  and jumped over three girls, hurdled a desk and a chair, and collapsed on the ground in the hall outside.  All because I saw my reflection:).  Haha.  Pathetic.

There are so many missionaries from Japan going back to Japan in the MTC right now.  Also more new missionaries going to Japan.  The president said there has never been this many before.  And so it's ironic that right after the earthquake when people will really be needing help, we have hundreds of missionaries going out in about 2 weeks.  Do you think the Lord knew about this?  I do.  Some of these people were called six months ago.  It's crazy to think how much the Lord plays into missionary work.  It is all Him, we are just the messengers.

Yesterday was another SYL (speak your language) day and it was so much better than the first time we did it.  Malay all day!  I was amazed at how much more I could understand.  It's encouraging, but at the same time, you realize how much more you need to learn.  My accent is already different too.  Malay is choppy and bubbly, so now my English is too.  Plus I roll my r's and pronounce the silent h.

I met an elder from Finland yesterday.  He is going to St. George!  He is your typical Scandinavian, white blond hair, blue blue eyes, slim and tall.  I told him I would give him your address so you guys could make him good Swedish food and take him places.  Hope you don't mind, but when I mentioned "kott bullar" he looked like he was going to cry.  Sweet kid with an insane last name I already forgot, but watch out for him.

I was reading the Book of Mormon the other day and was reading about Abinadi in chapter 13.  He is going to be killed, and what does he say in verse 3?  Oh, that he hasn't finished the mission the Lord called him to do so they better not touch him unless they want to die.  How powerful was his faith! and then in verse 9 he says basically that when he's done with his mission he doesn't care what happens to him because he did what the Lord asked him to do.  Don't get too nervous, but sometimes I think about some scary situations I could be in in Malaysia.  Abinadi's faith and courage gives me courage.  I hope that no matter what happens I will stay faithful enough for what I believe in  and strive to preach my message to the people I have been sent to.

So here is a little story that will flash you back to the golden years of my life.....my prankster life.  There is an elder that I play pig with at the gym.  We make bets that if I win he will buy me a tootsie roll and if he wins I will make him a peanut butter and jam sandwich.  Well he won, and he was gloating and mocking me so I decided to get even!  In the center of a perfect sandwich, I threw in a few noodles from Sister Norton's pasta.  HAHAHA, so funny!  He was still gloating and started to eat the delicious sandwich when he took a bite from the middle and his mouth filled with a delicious mixture of bread, peanut butter, jam and garlic noodles.  He immediately spit it out and said he gagged the rest of the day.  So mean!  But it was so fun! His district and teachers and my district and teachers were doubled over laughing so hard.

Thanks for all you do.  Especially for the letters and love.  It makes a huge impact to me here.  I appreciate you all so much.  I love you.

Sister Jensen

p.s.  Thanks to Jessica and Alex for the cupcakes!

No comments: