Wednesday, July 25

I can't believe the time. really I can't. it hasn't hit me yet.
do you remember last week? I'm pretty sure I told you about amika. we found her knocking? she is punjab indian and christian? I think I did. anyway, she came to our district conference this weekend and she loved it so much. aaalllllllllll of the indian woman in our whole district came and they all spoke in their language together and laughed and exchanged phone numbers and blah blah blah. it was incredible. she loved it so much. now everyday she texts us and she will get baptized. unfortunately I'll be gone, but it's good. 
also, lya is back!!! she got back on monday so we went and taught her and everything. she is just as crazy as always. I missed her so much. she's reading her scriptures every day:) and she loves church even more after going to it in indonesia. 
sorry. I'm being boring. my mind is kindof heavy today. is that right? hard to focus. 
the last two days were quiet epic though. monday night elvis insisted on taking us to eat since I'm leaving soon. so we went with him and his best friend and our investigator, steefn. we went to this pakistani restaurant that I wrote a bit about in my email with the pictures. the food was pretty good, although homemade pakistani food is much better. the men were scaring me. we were in a sketchy part of town. but the sweet part of the whole night was elvis. he has changed so much. he is so sweet and full of love for everyone. he is getting the priesthood this weekend and he will be so good. he's excited to bless the sacrament and baptize steefn. but we were sitting there, waiting for our food, and beggars started coming up to us. this is typical, sooooo many beggars here. its sad but you just have to push them on. sometimes I buy them lunch but in the handbook it says something about not giving money away. so anyway. three times a man would come up and ask for money, and elvis would kindof politely shoo him away. but then one time a woman came up, asking for money, and elvis looked at her, smiled, gave her some money, and said a sweet thing to her in arabic and the lady was so happy. and then we carried on like nothing happened. he didn't say anything. but rhodes and I were both sooo impressed with him and the compassion he has for woman. I dare say that is not a natural feeling for him, being from pakistan. at least all of the men we have met from there, its just maybe their view or perhaps just the way they are accustomed to treat woman is not according to the way Christ taught us. but elvis showed how much he has changed by that small small act. and then later, after we had eaten soooooooooo much food, and rhodes and elvis had a chicken eating contest, he paid and insisted he buy us ice cream. I thought I'd get off the hook by saying I'm allergic, but instead he bought me three chocolate bars. hahaha. I said elvis! too much! we don't need so much! and he said "no! you study bible all the time! you need food! when you get tired, you take! eat, bible, study!" haha. it was so cute. his english is much better already too. anyway, I could brag about him for long time. so I'll stop. but he is changing, and it is a miracle to see. OH! and I almost forgot. he told his family in new york about the church and they want to go. so he asked us for the address and everything. so he's doing missionary work already. AH! I love him. 
also this is cool, so fauzia is johnsons wife. she has a very intense story. I will tell you when I get home. but she is very lonely. a whole lot of indescribable pain in her life. she doesn't take to being taught, so we started trying to serve only. she knows we love her though, especially me. we have this bond. but we went there yesterday to "learn to cook" but really to help her cook. she's 8 months pregnant with complications and she has to make sooo much food. and pakistani food takes forever. anyway, so we went to go cook with her. so all day we talked with her, and she got to talk to us about stuff, we laughed, she told stories, she loves to cook so I think she had a good time teaching us. it was one of the most....hm. one of the most love filled days of my life. asher and faris were there and they were helping and taking care of their mom and we were laughing. it was just nice to feel love in their home, since it has been so long since it has been like that. I'll remember it forever. I've never seen them so happy.
oh! and I met my new mission president and his wife, president and sister mains. they are incredible. all of our investigators kept asking who they were because they spoke so humbly and beautifully at the conferences. it was quite the shock at the gross difference between him and president clark. they came in humble and wanting to love. they are full of love. president mains even bore his testimony in malay, which was a very simple broken malay testimony, and he was saying it to people who really don't speak malay that much, but I think that touched the people too. that he would try to learn the language. I don't know, I don't really know how to describe him. other missionaries have said he is entirely by the book. which I'm not sure about, I haven't seen it. the only thing that struck me was how humble and loving him and sister mains were. so I'm very happy to have them. they're incredible.
I don't know if I have any funny stories today, perhaps I'm just not in a funny mood. I can't believe the time.
I'm excited to see you all though. I love you so much.

No comments: