So, I am in Miri. hahahaha. can you believe that? Wild.
The first day here, I got my bike and put on my old helmet, and we biked an hour out to our area. Very typical, it poured the whole day. So, our first appointment we showed up soaking wet:) The next day when I got back on the bike, I yelped in pain because my butt hurt SO BAD!!!! hahahaha. so bad. I checked last night, and it's official, I have two huge bruises that start right underneath my butt bone and extend to my thighs. Probably too much information, but it looks like Sister Rinet beat me with a stick!! It's better now though, my butt is used to it. And I actually adore having a bike. I started practicing driving without any hands, and I'm up to 15 seconds without them:) not bad, eh?
So the other day we were visiting some less active members at night, they live right by the river in a little wood stilt house. So I parked my bike, and it was dark, and I wanted to walk a little bit down the pathway to get a better view of the river, when I took a wrong step and...whoops! Stepped off the walkway, straight into the mud/river and my leg sunk to about my knees. hahaha! Thankfully I didn't fall all the way in, so no worries. The first thing that came out of my mouth was, "aku jatuh!!" haha. Which you wouldn't get, but if you were a missionary here you would. On the Joseph Smith Restoration movie in malay there's a part were Joseph's little brother slips and falls into the mud and he says that in a really funny way. haha. Sister Rinet was doubled over laughing. And then we told the members, and they laughed. And then we laughed all the way home. WILD!
Miri is a lot different than KK. You hear the call to prayer every day, it's like it's from loudspeakers or broadcasted from the ground or something. It's always so loud. It's eerily beautiful though. It rains a lot here, and there are a lot more bugs too. A rat crawled over my foot the other night, dead serious, and there was a snake on the side of the road two nights ago. Black magic is alive and thriving here, although I've never seen it. But so far 5 people have asked us about it, or shared experiences where they did it and now they're being followed by three dark spirits. And there are haunted roads apparently, that we can't drive down at night. Haha. It's very different! But kindof fun.
The missionary stuff was in complete disarray when I first got here, but we have been trying really hard to straighten it all back out. We have put 6 people on date since I got here, so less than a week. Not bad, right? We're trying hard to be diligent. Some days are easier than others. Just trying to find the rhythm. But Sister Rinet is rad. She is teaching me Iban so I can speak to the people here better. The people love it, some random white girl that is speaking to them in Iban...haha. It's a work in process. My malay still isn't great, so by the end of this I might be able to speak crappy malay and crappy iban. Not too bad.
One more very funny story. The other night, Sister Rinet was making brownies. I was filling out the areabook. When all the sudden, our little carbon monoxide beeper goes off. Beeping like crazy. So I start freaking out. Carbon monoxide is not something to mess around with! You die! Or lose limbs! And have to hang out in a hyperbaric chamber!! So anyway, I'm like freaking out. Sister Rinet says its just broken and to not pay attention. Of course, I don't listen to her (great companion, right? oops!) So I keep trying to figure whats going on. I walk outside with the sensor, and it goes off. So I relax. I walk back inside, and it starts going off again. Oh no!! I didn't know what to do. So I opened all the windows and called my ZL that lives next door. Elder Gottfredsen. The goober face. He, as calm as a cucumber, just asks me if it's out of batteries. I say no! it's not! and I explain everything to him. What does he say? "Oh, really? Well, I don't know. Maybe it's just broken?" So then I freak out some more and tell him I don't want to lose limbs and blah blah blah, and then I hear another elder in the back, Elder Forsythe (he's from St. George! we know his grandparents!) say, "oh don't worry about it unless the beeping doesn't stop." and I yell, "IT HASN"T STOPPED THIS WHOLE TIME!!!!!" so then I keep freaking out. Elder Gott is just frozen. Who even knows what he was thinking about. But then another elder, Elder Moody from Vegas, gets on the phone and goes, "sister jensen. are you sure you're holding the carbon monoxide machine or just the smoke detector?" So I look, and, you guessed it......just the smoke detector. APOO! hahaha. neeeeeeedless to say, I felt like an idiot. And Sister Rinet got to say I told you so. What did I learn? Listen to your companion. Save you from humiliation. :)
Anyway, I'm about out of time and I have one more email to send. I love you so much! Thanks for all you do.
Oh! and the mail here is a real problem. Just send everything to Singapore please. If you're fast, it'll get there before two weeks when they come down for Zone Conference. And no, I only got a letter from Christina in KK :( still waiting on everyone elses:( hopefully it will get here eventually.
love you love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment